Journey of Life

Journey of Life
The Life of Pastor Kelly Begins

Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Extended Family



Mandy and Hayley were not technically my nieces. However, I basically grew up in their family. Jennifer, their mom and I were best of friends. We were like brother and sister. I basically was unofficially adopted into their family. 

Jennifer and I were the closest in age and we were the closest to any of the other children in the family. I had been constant in their lives, although we were at times hundreds miles a part. 

I have a need to tell about my niece Mandy although it involves Hayley as well. This story starts to unfold when Jennifer, who I have called Sissy since she was thirteen. Came back to Rochester, Indiana. 

First of all let me start by saying that neither one of us wanted to come back to this God forsaken city. Okay so it is not God forsaken. But we did not want to come back. We both chose schools in the great state of Tennessee. 

Jennifer went to Milligan College while I went to Johnson Bible College.  Neither one of us knew the other one was going to the school in Tennessee ahead of time. This was not planned. 

Jennifer and I met at Pearson's Mill Christian Camp and have been close friends since that time. There have been times that we have fought like cats and dogs. Okay like brothers and sisters. However, we have been there for each other when we needed each other the most. 

I drove to pick her up at the airport in Indianapolis when her dad had to have surgery. I am not sure what kind at the moment. I think it was heart surgery. We always shared Christmas together at some point when she was home. I helped cut many trees in the back yard. I think there were close to a hundred. I always said it should have been a sin to grow so many trees in one's back yard. 

At the time there were plans for a swimming pool. However, that never materialized by the way. Jennifer and I were married to different spouses only a few weeks a part from each other. I was over their home more than at my other parent's home. 

Her dad and I were quite close. We named our son after him. He was my number 2 fan, while Jennifer was my # 1 fan. He was one of the few positive male role models that have been in my life. 

I was invited over for Christmas, Easter and other family outings. I was always considered one of the family. Sometimes I would get to have something that no one else wanted when they would buy something new. 

As you can see this family was quite real to me. I became a pastor largely because of the influence of Mr. Stanley C. However, because of the abuse I suffered at the hands of some foster parents and never received any help I was really messed up and didn't even know it. 

However, in spite of this, the family of Jennifer always stood beside me. God had a plan that were even beyond our wildest imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment